Resources for Residents
The Village understands that the disconnection of downspouts may present questions and challenges to some homeowners. We want to make the process as simple as possible. Simple disconnections under $100 only require the completion of a Reimbursement Application Form (PDF) and receipts from purchases for the disconnection. Reimbursement for costs associated with complex disconnections (with reimbursement up to $800), rain gardens or bio-swales require a Program Permit Application (PDF) and contact with the Village. Village Staff is committed to making the process understandable for you. Some residents may qualify for an exemption (as qualified in our ordinance) for the mandatory disconnection. Please contact the Village if you feel that an exemption from the ordinance is warranted.
In addition, there are a number of educational resources available to residents.
- Downspout Disconnect How To - These links provide video instructional assistance for disconnecting your downspout:
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) - The Village has assembled a list of anticipated questions from residents.
- Loaner Tool Kits (If needed) - Disconnections can be made utilizing basic tools available in most homeowners’ toolboxes. If necessary, the Village offers loaner tools to homeowners subject to a signed waiver of liability.
- O and M Fact Sheet (PDF) - This document provides helpful information regarding the requirements and maintenance of Best Management Practices (BMPs) for Rain Gardens, Rain Barrels, and Bio-Swales, as required by the State.
- Pilot Program for seniors (65 and older) and folks with disabilities - The Village is looking to conduct simple disconnections for homeowners in need of assistance. If you are interested in participating in this Pilot Program, please call Forrest Tucker at 708-354-0225, ext. 208.
- Product and Purchasing Guide (PDF) - The Village went shopping to nearby home improvement stores including Ace Hardware in La Grange Park and Menard's and Home Depot in other communities. We have assembled a list of products and pricing of materials. The Village encourages residents to shop local for their downspout needs - see page 5 of the product guide.
- Staff Assistance - The Village has a dedicated staff member to address your questions regarding this program.
- Upcoming Saturday Workshops - The Village will be conducting workshops in the springtime at Village Hall. Stay tuned for more information on these dates.
Exemption from the Downspout Disconnection Ordinance
All property owners are responsible for complying with downspout disconnection ordinance requirements. Under the ordinance, property owners may also make an application to the Director of Building for an exemption from the requirements, if the disconnection of a downspout would create a hazardous condition or is not technically feasible. Once your application is received, Village staff will review the application to ensure it is complete. If there is any missing information, you will be notified.
Each application will be reviewed to determine which, if any, downspouts are eligible for exemption from the ordinance. Village staff may inspect your property to verify the information provided. Once your application has been reviewed, you will be notified in writing of the decision. Please note: Before applying for an exemption, property owners must make an effort to disconnect their downspouts from the Village’s sewer system. This may include relocating one or more downspouts. View more information about exemption (PDF). Download an Exemption Application (PDF).
- Downspout Connected Examples Photos (PDF)
- Downspout Disconnected Examples Photos (PDF)
- Downspout Disconnection Assistance Program Types (PDF)
- Downspout Disconnection Ordinance Amended (PDF)
- Downspout Disconnection Product Purchase Guide (PDF)
- Downspout Disconnection Program FAQs (PDF)
- Downspout Disconnection Training Presentation (PDF)
- Exemption Application (PDF)
- Exemption Information Sheet (PDF)
- Homeowner Agreement (PDF)
- House Before and After Disconnection (PDF)
- Map - Non Eligible Area (PDF)
- O and M Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Permit Application (PDF)
- Pilot Program Hold Harmless Agreement (PDF)
- Program Overview - Presentation (PDF)
- Program Plans (PDF)
- Reimbursement Form Plan AB (PDF)
- Reimbursement Form Plan CDE Complex (PDF)