Process to Establish BDDs
Based on the results of the Feasibility Study conducted by SB. Friedman, the Village Board implemented four Business Development Districts (BDDs), encompassing all of the Village's commercial and industrial areas. Specially, the four areas include:
- 31st Street Central / Barnsdale Road
- 31st Street East (the west side of Maple Avenue, between 31st Street and 30th Street)
- 31st Street West (northeast and southeast corners of the intersection of La Grange Road and 31st Street)
- The Village Market, including Memorial Park (for contiguity purposes) and Plymouth Place
- At the November 8, 2016 Village Board Work Session, the Board decided to proceed with BDD implementation.
- At the December 8, 2016 Village Board Meeting, the Board discussed what amount in sales tax to levy under the BDDs.
- The draft BDD plans were made public on January 20, 2017. The Village Board reviewed the draft plans at their meeting on January 24, 2016. At that meeting, the Village Board also adopted ordinances setting the public hearing date for the proposed BDDs.
- On February 14, 2017 the Village Board conducted four public hearings on the proposed BDDs. At the February 28, 2017 Village Board Meeting, the Board had further discussion regarding the proposed BDDs and postponed taking a vote on the ordinances establishing the BDDs for further discussion at their March 14, 2017 Village Board Work Session.
- On March 14, 2017 the Village Board again discussed the ordinances for the proposed BDDs. Although Work Sessions are not typically televised, this meeting was televised live so resident could watch the meeting online via the link provided on the Village's website. Following their discussion, the Village Board approved the establishment of all 4 proposed BDDs. The new sales tax rate in each of the districts went into effect on July 1, 2017.