Fire Department CO Reminder
On Tuesday, the Fire Department responded to a home for a Carbon Monoxide alarm activation. Firefighters found extremely dangerous levels of CO in the home as their furnace and water heater vents were blocked by snow. Thankfully they had a working CO alarm. Make sure your gas burning appliance vents, including dryer vents, are not blocked by snow or ice. This can cause CO in your home, which at undetected high levels can kill you. Also, blocked vents can also potentially overheat or damage your appliances.
Nicor Gas Reminder
Exercise caution removing snow or ice from your natural gas meter assembly. Use your hands or a broom, not a shovel, to brush away snow or ice from your meter and regulator. Never kick or hit your gas meter or its piping with a hammer or any hard object to break away built-up snow or ice. Learn more by visiting Nicor's Severe Weather Safety Page.