Sewer Backup Prevention Program
The Village of La Grange Park has budgeted funds for a program to assist single-family property owners, within our Village, with the cost of plumbing improvements to address sanitary sewer related backups.
Program application submittal required before work begins to be considered for reimbursement. (see how to apply below)
program packet contains all required forms needed for application and reimbursement
This program is being administered on a “first come - first serve” basis, and will provide 50% reimbursement of eligible sewer related costs, subject to a maximum reimbursement of $3,000 for backflow devices or $5,000 for overhead sewers. The goal of the program is to encourage homeowners to improve their quality of life and enhance property values through the reduction of sanitary sewer backups. View complete program information (PDF).
Eligible Program Reimbursements
This program only applies to owner occupied single-family homes. All work must be done by a State licensed plumber. In an effort to provide funding to as many residents as possible, strict guidelines were developed to limit the scope of work to items that will correct sanitary sewage backup problems.
- Installation of overhead sewers
- Installation of backflow prevention valve
- Installation of a sump pit and sump pump necessary to pump sanitary sewage from below-grade fixtures to an overhead sewer
- Cost of trenching and concrete floor replacement associated with eligible work
- Permit fees
- Backup or flooding improvements made to commercial, industrial, multiple-family or other income providing property
- Property improvements not associated with sanitary sewage backup protection (i.e. foundation cracks, seepage, etc.) below grade
- Removal and replacement of basement walls and finishes
- Use of materials or methods not meeting the requirements of Village specifications
- Upgrading of electrical supply to accommodate sump pump
- Battery back-up system for sump pump
- Alarm panels
- Cost of disconnecting downspouts
- Restoration with grass seed/sod or other landscape work
- Work performed without required building permits
- Expenses incurred before approval of program participation
How to Apply
Program packet contains all required forms needed for application and reimbursement. Carefully review the packet materials for eligible reimbursements before proceeding with the following steps:
- Property owner obtains written proposals from State licensed plumbing contractors to perform necessary corrective action. For best results in selecting a contractor and proposed work, we encourage property owners to solicit at least three (3) proposals. Contractors may have differing opinions (and fees) related to solving your backup problem. The Village shall not be a party to any contract related to the program.
- Property owner selects contractor.
- Property Owner completes and submits the two-sided program application form to Village accompanied by a copy of the proposal from the contractor they have selected.
- Village approves program participation, or alternatively, if program funding is not currently available, application form is put in a que, in order of submittal, should funding become available.
- Contractor obtains necessary permits.
- Once work is completed and inspection(s) are completed and approved, property owner must submit the following: completed and signed Reimbursement Form, completed and signed W-9, copy of approved inspection report and proof of payment to the Village. Missing information will delay processing.