If required, Mosquito abatement services will be contracted out by the Village for the purpose of reducing adult nuisance complaints and mitigating disease vectors should it arise. Concerning West Nile Virus, when recommended by our mosquito abatement contractor and the Illinois Department of Public Health, we will conduct Village wide sprays to reduce the adult mosquito population, mitigating the virus.
Preventing Mosquito Bites
Residents should take personal steps to avoid exposing themselves to mosquitoes when at all possible. According to the Cook County Department of Public Health (CCDPH), prevention is the most effective way to protect yourself and your family from becoming infected with West Nile Virus:
- Reduce exposure when mosquitoes are most active, especially between dusk and dawn.
- Get rid of standing water where mosquitoes can breed, such as pet bowls, flower pots, old tires, bird baths, baby pools and toys.
- Make sure rain gutters drain properly.
- Repel mosquitoes when outdoors by applying insect repellent with DEET. Always follow label directions.
- Repair or replace torn or missing screens on doors and windows. Don’t invite mosquitoes into your home.