Streetscape Improvement Plan
On February 22, 2022, the Village Board approved the selection of Sam Schwartz for consultant services to develop a Streetscape Improvement Plan for the Village Market area. Sam Schwartz is a national transportation planning and engineering firm that specializes in pedestrian and traffic safety along corridors similar to La Grange Road, and Site Design Group is an award-winning landscape architecture and design firm with expertise in sustainable streetscapes and creative "placemaking."
Project documents, updates, and opportunities to participate in community engagement will be posted to this webpage. Please contact Frannie Ritchie or Maggie Jarr with any questions regarding this project.
Franny Ritchie, Project Manager - Sam Schwartz
Maggie Jarr, Assistant Village Manager
(708) 354-0225 ext. 108
Project Study Area
- Create a sense of place – Recommend streetscape elements, such as signage, landscaping, lighting, seating/furnishings, public art, and other enhancements, to improve gateways and wayfinding and provide a more comfortable and pleasant environment for pedestrians.
- Promote accessibility – Identify and facilitate better and more accessible routes between Village Market and nearby residential neighborhoods, community facilities, parks and open space, and public transit stations. The plan should include strategies for improving the pedestrian connection between Village Market and the residential areas west of La Grange Road.
- Enhance mobility and safety – Identify intersection enhancements, crossings, sidewalks, public transit facilities (bus stops and shelters), and other complete streets elements. The plan should recommend traffic calming methods at crosswalks and other points of pedestrian access, particularly along La Grange Road.
- Reinforce environmental sustainability – Consider stormwater management and energy conservation in streetscape recommendations. The plan should also recommend ways to integrate electric vehicle charging stations into Village-owned and private parking areas.
- Engage the community and key stakeholders – Involve residents, business owners, and other community stakeholders in the planning process and integrate their feedback into the vision, concepts and recommendations, and prioritization of strategies. The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) will also be engaged throughout this process to ensure that the plan’s recommendations for La Grange Road are feasible.
- Provide a roadmap for implementation and funding – Prioritize recommendations, identify clear implementation steps, and include potential funding sources for the recommended improvements. The plan should indicate which projects are TIF eligible and also list relevant grant opportunities @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Residents, businesses, and other community stakeholders will have many opportunities to participate in the planning process.
Public Kickoff Event
Tuesday, May 3, 2022, 6:30-8:00 p.m.
La Grange Park Public Library, 555 N. La Grange Road
The Village hosted a public event to kick off the Village Market Streetscape Improvement Plan on Tuesday, May 3 at the La Grange Park Public Library with approximately 50 residents in attendance. This plan will present a vision and recommendations for public improvements that establish a safer, more inviting environment along La Grange Road and throughout the Village Market area. The event included a presentation, live polling, and an interactive mapping activity.
Open starting Monday, April 25, 2022
Hard copy surveys available upon request
The community survey asks about your experiences traveling to, from, and within the project study area. There is also an online map that allows you to drop virtual 'pins' to identify particular issues or challenges at and around Village Market. This survey is voluntary and anonymous and should take 10-15 minutes to complete.